How to Check if Your Motherboard Supports a Processor

Uncategorized

195 Comments

In this guide, we'll go over a few methods for determining if your motherboard supports a specific processor.

Note for those installing LGA 771 Xeons into an LGA 775 motherboard

This guide will only help you figure out what LGA 775 processors are compatible with your motherboard. Once you know this, you can use the information in the LGA 771 to 775 motherboard compatibility guide to figure out what similar LGA 771 Xeons are compatible with your motherboard.

Things you'll need

• The CPU model number and stepping (how to get the stepping)
  • Your motherboard model number (and revision if it has one). This should be printed on the motherboard, or you can get it through software with CPU-Z (this info should be in the Mainboard tab).

Important things to watch out for

• You should always install the latest BIOS for your motherboard before attempting a CPU upgrade.
  • Some motherboards don't support all steppings of a processor.
  • Some motherboards have multiple revisions, and they may not support the same processors.
  • Prebuilt computers (like Dell) sometimes use different motherboards (depending on what parts come with the system), and the motherboards may not support the same processors, so you'll need to figure out which motherboard you have.

Method 1 - Check if your motherboard has a CPU support list

The best way to determine if a processor is supported is to check if your motherboard manufacturer maintains a cpu support list. The cpu support list will tell which processor model numbers (and steppings) are supported by each bios version.

For example, if you have an ASUS P5K motherboard, you can find the cpu support list by searching google for: "asus p5k cpu support". This list is also usually linked to from the support/drivers page for your motherboard.

If your can't find the official cpu support list, try searching for your motherboard's model number on cpu-upgrade.com. They maintain a processor support list for many motherboards.

Method 2 - Search for others with your motherboard that are also using the processor

Note: This method isn't guaranteed to work unless you also verify their motherboard revision and CPU stepping is identical to yours, but it will probably work in most cases.

Try searching for your motherboard's model number and the model number of the processor you want to install. It's also probably a good idea to include your motherboard revision and CPU stepping in the search. This will often turn up other people that installed this processor on your motherboard, and you may be able to tell if they were successful or not.

195 Responses

• Sergi Pinyol April 26, 20145:44 pm

Gigabyte GA-965GM-S2 (F7 bios) running with L5320 without any problem.

Thank You very much.

• Tommy Conner May 8, 20149:03 am

I’ve got the Gigabyte G41M-Combo board which supports the Q9660 Quad. Can I fit the Xeon 5160 with the adapter?

• syn May 8, 20142:53 pm

Yes, it should work with that motherboard. The 5160 is basically a higher clocked E6700.

Any 95W and lower Xeon should also work fine.

Good luck.

• Vlastimir May 19, 201411:20 pm

Hello, I have Ga P35 DS3L, probably v. 1.0, Chipset P35, and Bios F9 , so I am interested what type of xeon can I use? I am looking toward E5450, but I am not so sure about all requirements. Pls send me some info. Thanks in advance

• syn May 19, 201411:39 pm

I have that same motherboard, and it will run an E5450 fine. You can run any Xeon with a 1333 FSB or lower (or 1600 if you know how to overclock the FSB).

• thalesmen May 21, 201410:51 pm

olaa gostaria de saber se minha placa mae é compatível com o mod 771 em 775 placa asus p5kpl-am se

• syn May 22, 20141:02 pm

Hi,

If you have the 1.01G revision (or later) you should be able to run any 1333 FSB Xeon (or 1600 FSB ones if you overclock the FSB).

• drocdoc May 22, 201412:17 am

hey I have a dell studio 540 motherboard and it can support a q9650 according to dell support website, so can I run a e5450 or x5450. thanks in advance

• syn May 22, 20141:08 pm

It looks like the M017g model motherboard for that studio 540 may only support 95w and lower Xeons, so I recommend the E5450. The X5450 may not run since it’s 120W.

Any 95w and lower Xeon with a 1333 FSB (or lower) should run fine.

• drocdoc May 26, 20143:48 am

thanks man

• Sidr May 31, 20142:39 pm

Hi! I have ga-ep41-ud3l, what highest Xenon CPU it is can support? Is it ok for Intel Xeon QUAD CORE X5460?

• syn May 31, 20143:03 pm

Yes, the X5460 should work fine. Any Xeon with a FSB of 1333 or lower should work.

• Dan June 7, 20147:53 pm

Hi, i have a Asus P5G41T-M LX2 would an INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q9300 2.5GHz 6M Cache 1333 FSB LGA775 2.5/6/1333 SLAWE run ok?
    thanks

• syn June 7, 20148:04 pm

The cpu support list seems to be incomplete for that motherboard, but if it’s like a ASUS P5G41T-M LX2/BG, it should support a Q9650 (and also probably the Q9300, since the Q9300 came out earlier).

• Mary June 13, 20148:33 pm

I have a GIGABYTE GA- Z68MX-UD2H-B3 and I have an intel i5-3470 LGA1155 and they should be compatible but it is not working-am I missing something?

• syn June 13, 20148:48 pm

That processor should work if you have BIOS version F13 or greater. Do you know what version you’re using?

If your BIOS version is fine, I’d recommend checking the socket for bent pins.

• Mary June 13, 20148:51 pm

how do you check your bios version?

• Mary June 13, 20149:02 pm

I cannot even get my computer on so not sure I can check this…

• syn June 14, 201411:23 am

My guess is the bios version isn’t new enough to support the processor.

Some motherboards allow you to blind flash a bios without a processor in the system. I’d recommend checking if yours allows this.

You can also buy bios chips that have the latest bios already installed, and then install that into your processor yourself.

The other option would be to buy a very cheap, old processor that was supported in the first bios release and use it to update your bios. Then reinstall the new processor. You can then sell the old processor on ebay or craigslist or something.

Good luck

• Imaad Motan June 18, 201412:27 pm

I have a dell precision 490. With Intel 5000x series mobo. Revision 0DT031. BIOS is A08.
    Running Dual Xeons 5160.

Will this board support dual Xeons 53xx series quad core clover town. Since i read somewhere that this revision does not supprt quad.

• syn June 18, 201412:34 pm

Multiple places say the 490 supports the 53xx series, but they don’t say which revisions, so I’m not sure. I don’t see a cpu support list anywhere that lists which cpus are supported by revision.

• Imaad Motan June 19, 20141:07 am

Alright. No prob mate. But technically if the bios update was released in 2008 and the processor in 2007 it should support in theory.
        Guess there’s only one way to find out

• John June 19, 20149:59 pm

I have a DFI P35 T2R Dark,, it runs e8600 just fine will it run the 5000 series (x5450 5460 or 5470?)

• syn June 19, 201410:46 pm

I don’t see anything on the Dark model, but for the DFI LANPARTY UT P35-T2R (http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-DFI/LANPARTY_UT_P35-T2R_.html), I found the following:

• Supports q6700, q9550, qx9650
      • p35 chipset
      • Probably at least a 130W TDP

The Q9550 is very similar to the Q9650, so you can likely run any processors similar to the Q9650 (like the X5450, X5460, and X5470) if you have the latest BIOS.