For example, the Xeon E5450 is equivalent to a 3.0 GHz Core 2 Quad Q9650, and it currently costs about $14 on eBay (usually much less than the Q9650).

• DaniV March 28, 201811:21 am

Hello, I buyed intel xeon E5440 SLBBJ (E0) from aliexpress for my Pegatron IPMEL-AE motherboard with G41 chip but couldn’t make it work properly.
    First i tried to install it without microcode update since i have G41 chipset but it just got stucked on the initial BIOS screen and didn’t enter neither the BIOS or windows.
    Then i updated the microcode via afudos and (after removing the battery of the BIOS and reset it to default) was able to enter the BIOS, wich recognised the processor but once i tried to enter the system the loading screen was laggy and after a while (MUCH longer than it takes to boot the system) it showed me a blue screen with the error code “DPC WHATCHDOG VIOLATION” wich seems to be probably hardware incompatibility.
    I saw on some comments that some processors doesn’t work with E0 stepping but they do with C0. Does anyone with a similar motherboard know if it can be related to that or if there is any solution?
    I will be very thanfull with any help you can provide me :).

• OliKa March 29, 20185:28 am

Hi,

I tried mods with three Motherboards lately using XEON E5450 SLBBM (Stepping A Revision E0).
    Hopefully I can help updating the motherboard list.
    On all the motherboards I used microcode upgdated bioses from http://genius239239.myweb.hinet.net/771/

1. ASUS P5N7A-VM

– “Intel C-State tech” MUST be disabled!!!
    – C1E can remain enabled!
    – stable for more than 24 hours

When enabling C-state booting Win10 and Linux will be slowed down extremely (like 20 minutes or so to login)

2. DFI LANPARTY JR GF9400-T2RS

– works like a charme, all available C-state settings enabled
    – stable for more than 24 hours

3. Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H

– very unstable!
    – playing with c-state settings doesn’t improve stability
    – sudden hard restarts (without bluescreen) between running time of 15 min. to max. 3 hours
    – checked with 2 XEON CPUs – same result
    – works well with Core2Duo E8400, so the motherboard itself is most likely okay
    – failed with this XEON E5450 E0

• GRX April 1, 20182:12 am

Have had this working for a year no issues in my Gigabyte Motherboard (previously listed).
    However, someone trying this may want to be careful about temps. I installed this E5450 in my machine just using the original Core Duo heatsink fan and some new arctic silver.

According to both the hardware temp monitors I have installed I’m idling at 58C on the cores and SURGING up to 95C at load. CPU reading is at 42C under load.

If this core reading is accurate, I’m surprised the CPU hasn’t exploded. But, unless a replacement heatsink and fan is really Cheap, it isn’t worth it to invest anything else into an obsolete system (just the CPU swap is getting questionable at this point).

Just thought I’d throw that out there. Apparently, you can’t take it for granted that you can run this Quad Core even at stock at a reasonable temp using Core Duo cooling.

• GRX April 5, 20187:28 pm

I think this is resolved. Some of the issue ended up being that the temps were reported somewhat inaccurately high. Although, even discounting that, the temps were still way too high.

the main issue ended up being the Intel heatsink and fan. At least one of the plastic pins which is supposed to mount it to the board had broken off, allowing the heatsink to ride up on a corner.

This Intel cooler is a real POS. I ended up removing the motherboard, ripped the pins out of the heatsink/fan and bolted it to the board using thin bolts, nuts and thick rubber gasket washers.

After, temps at idle have dropped to around 40C and around 60C at max.

That should do it- for non-overclock

• ShohS April 1, 20185:19 am

MSI g41m-sp20 works with E5450 (E0) (xeon microcode applied)
    MSI p31 neo v2 works with E5430 (C0) (xeon microcode applied)

• Vince April 4, 20184:46 am

Vostro 220 board with xeon microcode bios update doesn’t boot with an E5472

• Rafael Costa Ferraz April 12, 20183:21 pm

Hello friends, as I was recommended, I placed the intel xeon 5450 on my motherboard striker extreme chipset 680i, but when I updated the bios of her with the file 771 of this link that I was indicated (http://ideafix.name/stuff/Striker -Extreme.zip)
    My computer does not start ….
    (Note, it does not even start with my old processor)

Please, friends, I need help …

• Greensmack April 15, 20189:39 am

Hi,

I wanted to report that I have an Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard running on a Xeon 3370; clocked to 3ghz per core with an FSB set to 300mhz.

Depending on the video card installed, and if PEG is enabled for the video card, the FSB can go as far as 315mhz before encountering BSODs in windows. (PEG is a PCIe bus performance booster that also can affect any PCIe peripheral cards, too; like SATA or NVMe adapters/controllers for PCIe slots).

To get the 3370 to work properly, the same bios I had previously was simply reflashed back to the motherboard.

I did not have to update the microcode of the bios rom itself, although I wouldn’t advise against it; I just wanted to report that the latest public release for the P5W DH Deluxe works with the Xeon 3370; bios messages about the microcode go away if the same bios is reflashed back into CMOS.

(I just wish 64-bit PCI-X functionality could be introduced the same way!)

• bart April 17, 20185:02 pm

ASUS P5K-VM works generally with a X5470, but i get during booting the folowing error mesagge:

ERROR! The CPU Core to Bus ratio or VID configuration has failed!

will try a stronger Power supply tomorrow…

• bart April 19, 20186:05 pm

700W Powersupply did not help,
      System is running stable but i do not have the full perfomance (~3900 CPU Mark Score instead of ~4600)

Microcode update has been processed, BIOS resetted… any hint ?

• JJ April 21, 201811:53 am

Just came here to say that the ASUS P5QL-EM works, seems by the model number it’s the same series as the P5QL-E plus the specs are similar, and the 5450 Xeon that I used is compatible with both motherboards

Gave a 10 second countdown, flashing microcode update fixed it, the user interface of the bios modding program could be designed better tbh

• Ghetto April 23, 20189:48 pm

Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L rev 2 with bios overclock (1600mhz) and E5472 C0 stepping SLBBH working great, no issues

• Ghetto April 23, 20189:50 pm