For example, the Xeon E5450 is equivalent to a 3.0 GHz Core 2 Quad Q9650, and it currently costs about $15 on eBay (usually much less than the Q9650).

• Spart January 18, 202110:56 am

Just an update.

P5Q3 Wifi Deluxe
    Xeon L5430

I had been running an L5430 for a long time. Very Stable was running with DDR3 1333.

Just upgraded it to a E5472 with DDR3 1600 overclocked to 3.33Mhz. Very stable and working fine.

FSB 444 7.5x

Not sure how I get the ram to overclock to 1600 if anyone knows on this MB please post.

Cheers
    Spart

• Richard January 19, 20212:11 pm

Hi i just put a xeon e5462 2.8ghz in my msi g41-p26 motherboard and it booted up and is working but the cpu speed in bios and cpu-z in 2.33ghz even under load. Also task manager shows that the speed is around 2.7ghz even though cpu-z shows 2333mhz at the same time.

• Richard January 22, 20213:45 am

Dell DG33M03 mobo: failed multiple times until I replaced the sticker. Now running happily with an x5470

• Trudi Morrison-Gardiner January 24, 20218:50 pm

Is it possible using an E5345 in this method? We a couple spare from a server strip down, intending to use in a surveillance system we built. 🙂

• Frank February 1, 20213:55 pm

Please can someone help me, I have a ms 7284 g945 motherboard with bios locked..it doesn’t let me read dual cores either!
    How can I change the bios?

• Casey February 9, 20214:35 pm

I installed an E5450 in a Acer prebuilt system. It had an E5500 originally installed. It posts to the bios and shows the E5450 properly but it isn’t working properly. I have spent countless hours working on this. The main issue is windows won’t load consistently. Every time this happens I need to reinstall the E5500 in order to boot properly. I have installed the latest bios directly from Acer but that was already installed. I have installed all three 771 microcodes at once and that didn’t help. I then installed one of the 771 microcodes at a time. With the one with 40 in the platform section installed I was able to boot into windows. Unfortunately it wasn’t working properly. It only showed 2 cores in task manager and HWMonitor. In CPUID it did show that the E5450 was installed and running at 3.0 ghz but nothing else showed that. After rebooting a few times the same issue started again. It posts and then the windows logo appears and it then reboots. That cycle will continue until I power it down.

I have tried everything I can think of but nothing has worked. It seems like a bios/microcode issue to me. I know trying this mod with a prebuilt system was risky because I can’t do much in the bios. Any ideas of what I can try next or should I just give up and buy a 4 core 775 cpu to replace the E5500?

• David February 21, 20219:24 am

Casey February 9, 20214:35 pm
      When you boot windows with 2 cores instead of 4 is just simply windows setting to get it working:
      msconfig/boot/advanced options/ number of procesors (set 2) and restart. Thats all.
      msconfig = system configuration tab

• Kevin D February 9, 20216:09 pm

Good evening, I bought on EBAY a XEON x5492 compatible LGA775. I installed it like on the tutorial but it doesn’t work. I put a bigger power supply (400 watts). I put the factory settings back in the bios. And when I turn on my black screen machine and after a few minutes it turns off. The model of my motherboard is a Veriton M275 and a G41. In the tutorial it says that all G41’s are compatible. What can I do?

• RelaxingTimes101 February 13, 20213:46 pm

hi guys do you know if a xeon L5420 can works in my biostar g31d-m7? because i know my mobo have tdp up to 65w.

and I also need a modded bios with microcodes if anyone already has it please pass it to me rdcmr101@gmail.com

• Spencer February 22, 20215:34 pm

Shuttle SX48P2 E
    BIOS SX48SE06
    Xeon X3363, stepping 10

Running stable overclocked and no changes needed to BIOS for Xeon to be recognised correctly.

• Oliver shaw February 27, 202112:25 pm

Installed as instructed but the pc went into a boot loop on the windows screen